By: Ana Serrano
Back pain is an ungrateful travel companion for many people. According to an epidemiological study carried out in Catalonia, it represents a little more than 50% of all the painful manifestations that the population suffers.
Low back pain or pain is caused by poor repetitive postures, enduring overloads or muscle injuries. It is also associated with pregnancy, overweight, osteoarthritis and even emotional stress. Some professions are prone to suffer, such as teachers, dentists, dependents of commercial establishments, hairdressers or transporters.To relieve back pain it is essential to correct bad postures and avoid situations prone to lumbago are the first steps to relieve pain, but also we must study the convenience of receiving physical therapy, acupuncture or therapeutic massage, as appropriate. Phytotherapy can also be an excellent additional help without side effects.
4 natural remedies for lumbago
1. White Willow Bark (Salix alba).
It contains compounds such as salicylic acid, a precursor to the famous aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid). You can drink up to 3 cups a day of decoction, preferably in association with other herbs that enhance its action and improve flavor, such as yarrow, mint, viburnum and horsetail. If it is easier for you, in herbalists you will find it in tincture, liquid extract and capsules.For long-term treatments: One of the best herbal solutions is indicated: the harpagofito (Harpagophytum procumbens), which comes to us from South Africa. Complements are the false fruits of juniper (Juniperus communis), with a potent calming action, and ginger essential oil (Zingiber officinale), which applied topically generates a sensation of heat and cold – without causing irritation or allergy -, very adequate to control pain.
- Why is it useful?: It is relaxing, analgesic and anti-inflammatory.
- Which part is used?: rhizome powder or chopped.
- Try it like this: Mix 5 drops of essential oil with 10 of sweet almond oil and apply it in a gentle massage.
- Why is it useful?: It has anti-inflammatory, analgesic and antispasmodic effects.
- Which part is used?: the tuber.
- Try it like this: in capsules or tablets (450-500 mg, 2 to 6 per day, as prescribed).
- Why is it useful?: In addition to analgesic it is detoxifying.
- Which part is used?: the false fruits or globules.
Try it like this: In infusion, 3 cups a day, with friar crown, ash leaves, viburnum and fennel.